Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2012

Make a frame, make some art!




I know some girls get things like clothes and makeup for Christmas, but for the past few years, my Dad has been stocking me up with awesome tools! It started with a basic tool kit, but as the years have gone on, I guess I have proven myself worthy of the big stuff!

This year I received my very own Compound Miter Saw! Isn't it lovely?

I'll admit, that blade is a little scary, but it sure does make this project I have been working on so much easier!

I have been making a lot of these fabric wall hangings and I need frames for them to wrap around. Theses are so cheap, and take no time at all now that I don't have to manually saw each of the boards!
Just take a 1X2 piece of wood, figure out the size you want your frame to be and make 45 degree cuts. Once you have your 4 edges, just staple them together at the corners. I used 2 staples on each corner, then flip it over and put 2 more staples again at each corner. Pretty simple and very sturdy.



Now, on to the fun stuff!

These fabric wall hangings are so much fun and the possibilities are endless. What I love about this is that you don't have to use a lot of fabric so you can raid the remnant section at Hobby Lobby and find all sorts of fun fabric without paying a ton and having a lot left over.
I just cut out whatever shape I want, lay that over a contrasting fabric, sew around the edges and then add some detail! Once everything is sewn on, just stretch it across your frame and staple it to the back.

Here are some examples. I really love them and they make great gifts!


Here are some up close


And here are some others I did ...



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I got a cordless powerdrill for Christmas and was sooo excited! We girls need tools too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! What did you think?

Remember, if asking a question to click on "subscribe by email" Thanks!